Ah, yesterday was the second day that I 'substitute' taught in my classroom. It was a fairly laid back day; for the most part we watched movies (Renaissance Man and Twelfth Night).
Something interesting though... I like to think myself as pretty tech savvy... but when I began playing one of the DVDs, I didn't realize that the volume for the computer could be adjusted externally (we don't have DVD players hooked up to the television, we have to play DVDs through the computer). What ensued was a lesson in classroom management. I told the students that if they wanted to hear the film, they would have to be quiet because I couldn't turn the volume up any higher. And they were quiet! They really were enjoying Renaissance Man.It was fun to see that happen. Also, telling the class the only other alternative to watching the film is reading is oddly effective, though highly disconcerting.
Our school was/is having a no hall pass policy, and in order to use the bathroom during class, a student has to be escorted. That really cuts down on people wanting to leave randomly during class work!
As for acting as a substitute teacher, it was a learning experience. I got a chance to see just how many little decisions must be made throughout the day that are not necessarily related to curriculum.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
2 comments:
As you suggest, this is a kind of good news/bad news story ;-) but it's quite interesting to observe what your students are capable of doing in the proper circumstance. Who knows...maybe as you get to know them better "Renaissance Man" can be shorthand for "Quiet!!"
It's great that you had the opportunity to be in front of the classroom this early, Jennifer...you'll be glad that you had that experience under your belt.
Subbing really teaches a bit more than I thought it might. Then again, they act differently with a sub than with a normal teacher, which is what I am learning this year.
The fact that they settled down for you when you were acting as a sub means that they will be amazing for you when they see you as a "real" teacher. I am so jealous but not at all surprised!
(-8
Post a Comment